Sunday, February 26, 2012

The wedding sermon cutting room floor


I'm performing my sisters wedding today. Here is a thought that I had to cut from the sermon. I find it helpful, I hope you do as well.

Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD. (Song of Solomon 8:6)
If you think about what a seal does, you’ll find this image profound. A seal does two things. It shapes, and it protects. First, it shapes, it reshapes. A seal is stamp, you take it, you pressed into hot wax that is covering the meeting point between two surfaces, and it leaves a mark in the wax. Love does that in our lives. Every now and then I’ll take my ring off, Veronique hates it when I do, but when I do, I’m reminded that it’s not there. It’s left a mark on my hand. A visible mark, but also, it’s changed the way my hand feels. If it’s off, I know it. Just a few months after we got married, I took my ring off, set it by the bedside table, and put on moisturizer, and then, in a rush, headed off to class. At some point, I went to raise my hand to ask a question, and I realized, it’s gone. It felt different. My hand felt different.

In marriage, the love that we have for each other, in relationship with Christ, the love that will hold your marriage together and causes a couple to hold fast to each other, reshapes us. It redefines how we approach things, how we think about things, how we go about every day, as it draws us deeper into relationship with each other and with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment