Wednesday, May 9, 2012

No one is impartial towards God


I was struck by this thought by Thomas Nagel, a professor of philosophy at NYU, and a non Christian.
“In speaking of the fear of religion, I don’t mean to refer to the entirely reasonable hostility toward certain established religions and religious institutions, in virtue of their objectionable moral doctrines, social policies, and political influence. Nor am I referring to the association of many religious beliefs with superstition and the acceptance of evident empirical falsehoods. I am talking about something much deeper–namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers.
I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that.”(”The Last Word” by Thomas Nagel, Oxford University Press: 1997)”
What this means is that no one investigates Christianity unbiasedly. Everyone has a distinct bent against it. They don't want Christianity to be true, because of all that it means. Which is just one more reminder to us that faith in Christ is a miracle of God for which we can only respond in one way. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment